Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Brian's Owling Adventures March 15-16

 Tuesday, March 16, 2010 Email
 Eastern Screech-Owl, Northern Saw-whet Owl, Long-eared Owl:
 
"After dark, under a starry sky, calm conditions, and no moon, I conducted a screech owl census at the Wastewater. Being somewhat tired after a long day, my mind was idly wandering as I casually stood at one my stops with my headlight switched off and the audio-lure on repeat. Nothing was responding so I was kinda zoning out. I suddenly burst right out of my reverie as something landed on my head! As soon as I felt the pin pricks of talons and soft moth-like flapping, I realized that an owl had mistook my motionless figure for a convenient perch. While I was collecting my wits, the crazy bird flew to a nearby tree and began calling. I definitely got my second wind at that point. My head still itches.

"I only encountered two more screech owls, but as a nice consolation I did find a Long-eared Owl. Also, on Monday evening, during our second night of netting, Carolyn and I caught a Saw-whet Owl."

- Brian Johnson

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sent you an email. My husband and I would love to meet you and get tips from a pro. Would love to get that close to an owl.