Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Nature Preserve and Peregrines Report

.
I birded the Muskegon Lake Nature Preserve this morning listing 25 species with none out of the ordinary except perhaps Sandhill Crane.  I heard at least one crane calling from west of the preserve about 8:30 a.m.  It may have been flying (I had a partially obstructed view of the sky) but it sounded as if it were in the marshy area along the riverbank west of the preserve.

I saw no Peregrine Falcons from the preserve, but heading south on the Causeway I saw one flying between the Cobb Plant guard shack and the building.  So I stopped to speak with Randy in the shack and later with Roger on the VerPlank property.  Both guys have seen a couple of peregrines flying around lately; Roger says they've perched on both the north and west nest boxes, so it's hard to say which one they'll use this season.

- Ric

No comments: