Saturday, January 1, 2011

A Very Happy New Year (So Far)

.
The sky kept getting darker, the snow kept getting thicker, the wind was howling, and other than a Mike Boston, I wasn't seeing much of anything other than a Northern Shrike and an American Kestrel (that would not cooperate).

All of a sudden right over the top of my windshield, at a very fast pace, two rays of "golden" (Eagle) sunshine appeared, chasing each other and anything else that crossed their path!

Yes, you know what happened next, I proceeded to break every speed limit on the property.  These "bad boys" weren't getting away from me again today!  After about three miles worth of chasing/shooting/chasing, these photos (in this weather) were the best I could get, but consdering how many times I've been at the W.W. just for this pair of raptors, I wouldn't trade them for the Mona Lisa! :)

Ahh, it's going to be a great year!

- Mike VanderStelt

P.S.  All the speckles in the wings are from the heavy snow.
.





2 comments:

Don Neumann said...

Very nice Mike! I chased them around on Wednesday. They never seem to be close on a sunny day!!

Anonymous said...

Nice! I got a couple of fairly close pictures of them perched in a tree by the observatory last week, but as Don says, it sure would be nice if they would pose pretty on a sunny day!