Thursday, April 15, 2010

Grasshopper Sparrows, and Upland Sandpipers

.
Checking the Wastewater on Wednesday evening (April 14), I heard my first Grasshopper Sparrow of the season. I returned with my nets on Thursday evening and tried to net two singing males, but the strong winds made that a no go. However, I did hear at least one Upland Sandpiper.

The condition of the local habitat has me concerned for some of the grassland birds. Between 2008 and 2009 male Grasshopper Sparrows exhibited very high site fidelity - nearly all returned to precisely the same location, despite significant changes in the vegetation structure. This implies that geographic familiarity is a bigger draw than optimal habitat. Since these 2010 arrivals (presumably returns from past years) seem to be staking claim to areas unsuitable for nesting, there is a chance that another breeding season will be lost. The Wastewater has one of the highest densities of Grasshopper Sparrows in Michigan, so the current outlook has me somewhat depressed.

- Brian Johnson
.

No comments: