Friday, April 9, 2010

Lanes Landing, 4-9, Etc. - Brian Johnson

 .
On Friday evening, I birded Lanes Landing. Of all the places that I have birded over the years, this place ranks as one of my very favorites. At this time of the year the marsh offers a wonderful smorgasbord of sights and sounds. The only problem is that with all the activity continuing after sunset, I have a very hard time leaving the place before dark. Hordes of blackbirds, several species of ducks (from the pleasant whistle of wigeon to the the squawk of Wood Ducks and bizarre growling of Hooded Mergansers), cranes, rails, snipe and woodcock, Barred Owls, various marsh songbirds, and four species of frogs together produce a delightful cacophony of song. However, the only new bird for the year was a calling Sora.

Earlier, I saw my first White-throated Sparrow at the DNR Headquarters.

Meanwhile, at Lake Michigan, loons have been migrating in good numbers. In a couple hours, I counted 64 on Thursday and 49 on Friday.

- Brian Johnson

No comments: