Wednesday, May 12, 2010

North American Migration Count - Muskegon State Game Area - May 8

.
A hectic weekend, a busted computer, and a trip back to Pennsylvania prevented me from posting my results from the North American Migration Count until today. But despite the cold, rainy, and windy weather, I had a very enjoyable day on Saturday (May 8). When I woke early that morning and saw that the current weather was lousy but the daily forecast held some promise, I decided to take my time getting into the field. Since initiating coverage at Lanes Landing and the surrounding areas in the Muskegon State Game Area, I have followed the same general route for the sake of consistency. However, my precise course and pacing is dictated by weather and bird activity. The nasty weather suppressed visible activity, especially in the more open areas, so I concentrated on the denser areas and spent more time off trail than usual.

Warblers were particularly cooperative. While later species, such as Mourning, Wilson's, and Canada, had apparently not arrived, I did well otherwise. I found 20 species, with 2 Golden-winged Warblers, 1 Orange-crowned Warbler, 1 Northern Parula, 1 Blackpoll Warbler and 3 Prothonotary Warblers being among the best. At one point I had a distant Cerulean Warbler oddly varying its song structure. The primary songs of Cerulean and Black-throated Blue, and the alternate song of Northern Parula, sound quite similar. This bird alternately sounded like a Black-throated Blue and a Cerulean, so I had to investigate. What I found were individuals of both species (!) both singing at a casual rate in close proximity to each other.

I had one Red-eyed Vireo (most arrive later), and my count of Blue-headed Vireos (4) was my best yet for the NAMC. Apparent breeders that nest more commonly northward included Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Red-breasted Nuthatch and Brown Creeper. While I missed Hermit (too late?) and Swainson's (too early?), I did get Wood Thrush and Veery. The one Veery was silent, and the Wood Thrushes did not sing until the evening. I did hear one drumming Ruffed Grouse.

I encountered 10 species of sparrows, with Grasshopper and Lincoln's being the most notable. Due to the early date, my tally of White-throated Sparrows was my highest yet for the NAMC. Most later arrivals, such as Willow, Alder, and Olive-sided Flycatchers and Eastern Wood-Pewee, were absent (thus, my flycatcher count was restricted to four species), as was Sedge Wren, but I did have Black-billed Cuckoo and Common Nighthawk. Virginia Rail and Sora were calling, but did not find either bittern. Solitary Sandpipers were at Lanes Landing and at the Walleye Pond. Perhaps my most interesting find was a Purple Finch at Lanes Landing.

With the winds dying in the evening, nocturnal birds became quite vocal. I had 6 American Woodcock, 2 Whip-poor-wills and 2 Barred Owls. My final species was Eastern Screech-Owl.

There is no question that the poor weather restricted bird activity and vocalization. My tally of individual birds was the lowest in the four years we have done the Muskegon NAMC. However, birding in section was anything but lousy, as my species count this year (109) was my second highest.

By the way, I had no adventures with white rabbits this year, and Lucky (who I captured under flashlight after I completed the count last year) is very much enjoying life with my nephew.

- Brian Johnson
.

No comments: