Thursday, October 7, 2010

Gull I.D. Requested - Hank Veldman

.
I wonder if someone would help me make a positive ID on these gulls. The dark one appears to be one of the "Black-backed" gulls. When I sighted them at the east end of the East Lagoon at Muskegon Wastewater this afternoon (Oct. 6), I was sure the dark one was a Great Black-backed Gull. But when I looked at my big Sibleys, I became confused, especially looking at the dark area around the eye. Thanks!

- Hank Veldman, Grand Rapids
.
.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This could be a Slaty-backed Gull because of the noticeable pattern of the wingtips.

Caleb Putnam said...

Adam Byrne and I went and got a good look at this bird's wingtip pattern, and the bird appears to be a 3rd cycle Lesser Black-backed Gull. I may try to upload some photos or video later to support this, but in any event, Slaty-backed can, I believe, be safely ruled out because of the lack of "tougue tips" on p6-8, which were seen very well in flight, as well as the overall yellow cast to the legs. Interestingly, the bird did have pinkish interdigital webbing, but some LBBGs, esp. subadults do show this. Either way, thanks to Hank and Ric for getting the word out!

Caleb Putnam

Anonymous said...

Hello Hank! I thought you might be interested in looking at a photo of a second year Lesser Black-backed Gull on the USGS web site. Just type in lesser black-backed gull, then look for the USGS site, maybe the 3rd list down. This gull looks very much like what you observed.