Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Eagles Kill Gulls at Wastewater

.
February 1 Email:
.
I spent several hours at the Wastewater today watching Bald Eagles catch, kill and eat seagulls.  There were eleven eagles on the east lagoon at one point.  There was one juvenile in particular that was pretty deadly.  I saw him capture three seagulls.  He would make short work of the gulls and go right back to hunting again.  When I left, all but one of the gulls he had attacked had been reduced to a pile of feathers and the lone survivor wasn't going to make it for long.  The photos of the hunt are not great; he was pretty far away.  The gull that he is chasing in these photos didn't make it.  

Rick Hamlin.
.


.

3 comments:

Jeffrey J. Moore said...

WOW -- thanks for the observations and pictures! FIERCE. VICIOUS.

Ric said...

A regular visitor to RECENT SIGHTINGS emailed (see below) to protest the posting of this injured gull photo. I've had some civil and informative email discussions with that person since then and respect and understand their position. I've defended the posting and indicated that in a similar circumstance in future, I would post a similar photo. I'd be interested in other opinions should anyone else care to comment. Here's what the visitor said (edited only to keep their identity anonymous):

"Ric, I can't say enough good about the Muskegon County Nature Club website. Your hard work and excellent observations are much appreciated. But I was very disturbed by the photo of the injured gull. I'm probably more sensitive than some of your other site visitors (valid specific reasons deleted here). I love birds not only from afar but up close (specific details deleted here) and I know how much injured birds suffer. So I don't like to see a graphic photo of an injured bird when I'm expecting to see images of grace and beauty. Thanks again for all your work on behalf of birds and birders."

RichH Photography said...

Ric,

I also respect and understand the emailer's concerns. When I sent you the photo it was not my intent to offend or hurt anyone with the image of the gull. My only intent was to share the reality of predator versus prey and the incredible hunting ability of the young eagle.

Rick Hamlin