Monday, February 13, 2012

Of Nikons and Other Miracles

.
This is an unsolicited testimonial for Nikon.  Back in 2007 I wanted my Nikon Attaches cleaned, so I went through the procedure of sending them in at their $23.xx rate, waited about ten days, and Voila! back came a box NOT with my cleaned Attaches but with brand new Monarchs (the Nikon model that replaced the Attache).  Wow!
.
I've loved the Monarchs.  They focus much closer than the Attaches (I can focus on the ground two feet in front of my toes).  Neither is a top-line binocular, and I've seen the difference between these and son Andy's top-of-the line Zeiss and Jeff Johnson's top-of-the-line Swarovski's, and it's about "1-f-stop" (photography language) of extra brightness (thus better color) with their binoculars.  By the same token, theirs cost at least $1,500 more than my "mid-range" Nikons.  (This morning 10x42 Monarchs like mine run $450 list but $250 new at places like Amazon.)
.
I'm posting this now because I've just hung up the phone with Nikon.  Last week at the Wastewater I apparently ripped the holding strap of my right-lens-protector (see photo). 
.
.
I didn't notice until later, and when I checked my car for the missing cap, I couldn't find it.  But miracle of miracles on the back floor was a generic lens cap with pliable rubber holding ring that fit the barrel of my Nikons perfectly!
.
I left it on, but I also contacted a couple folks who had accompanied me birding in my car recently and found out that the generic cap belongs to John Walhout.

On line I found I could purchase a similar pair of generic caps for $7.99, but considering my "free" Monarchs and not minding paying Nikon whatever they'd charge (presumably more than $7.99) I contacted their repair department.
.
The live human who answered the phone looked up my records in their files, apologized that they didn't have the caps in stock at the moment, but said in two weeks they'd be mailing me a pair.  I asked what's the cost?  He said there is no cost.
.
Apparently that's another perk you get with Nikon binoculars, and I just feel like telling people about it.  So I just did.
.
- Ric
.

6 comments:

Don Neumann said...

NIKON ROCKS!!! They even let you get close to Golden Eagles. Don't you agree, Mike?

Mike VanderStelt said...

Yes indeedee!
NASA even recommends them. Both the Binoculars, and Cameras to look at, and shoot UFOs, that way they KNOW they'll stay "unidentified"
Mike VanderStelt

Don Neumann said...

Oh Mike, I do enjoy your silliness...

Ric said...

Uh, Don, that's not "silliness" with Mike, but we try not to mention this in his company. :-)

RichH Photography said...

You can't beat that kind of customer service.

John H said...

I'm jealous of your nikon experience. One of my caps on a relatively new pair of nikon binos randomly snapped and nikon is charging me $10 for a single replacement.