Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Read Before Viewing Picture

.
Email, Feb. 15, 2011:

Ric,


Before you look at the picture below, I wanted to tell you about my experience photographing this little bird today.  He is very good at camouflage, better than most I have seen.  I saw this bird sitting in the tree with my naked eye, then found him in the binoculars to confirm that it was what I thought it was.  Then I pulled out the camera and snapped off several shots.  Little did I know, I was taking pictures of the wrong hole in the tree.  After reviewing my photos and realizing my mistake, I had to find the little bird that kept ducking back into his hole.  After about an hour I finally got a few photos, and it is still very hard to tell what it is.  If you have already sneaked ahead and taken a look, I am pretty sure what you are seeing is ...


... an Eastern Screech-owl, gray morph.

Rick Hamlin

Rick, yes, I agree.   - Ric
.

1 comment:

Mike VanderStelt said...

Rick,
Good eye! Jeez, you could just about climb that tree and not see the Owl! :)
Mike VanderStelt