Thursday, February 17, 2011

Waterfowl and Another Owl 2-16

.
With the warmer weather and the diminishment of ice cover, I've again been checking the waterbird flight along Lake Michigan. Although movement has picked up, I have not seen any new species yet. At White Lake Channel today (Feb. 16), there were 242 Common Goldeneye, 136 Greater Scaup, 14 Redhead, 13 White-winged Scoter, 10 Bufflehead, and 2 Lesser Scaup. Numbers of Cedar Waxwings and Horned Larks have also increased, and yesterday, I watched three larks fly inland from well offshore (but given the southeast winds, not necessarily from across the lake). At my feeders I'm seeing the usual "turnover" of banded birds at this time of year. While the species composition has changed little, the individuals that have spent the winter are becoming scarcer and new visitors have been replacing them.

While checking Lake Michigan from Muskegon State Park, I noticed the Red-headed Woodpeckers were making a big commotion. Checking things out, I could see why.


I've only done one Eastern Screech-Owl survey so far this year. On Feb. 7, I found one Screech-Owl along five stops at Hoffmaster State Park. A Barred Owl began hooting in response to the Screech-Owl's whinny calls.

- Brian
.

No comments: