Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Two Short-eareds and Three Snowies

.
Carol and I saw two Short-eared Owls at the model airplane field (south Wastewater properties) today at 5:35 p.m.  They were in the road right where Rick Hamlin was parked.  Sorry Rick, I hope you got to see the other owls.
.
- Charlie DeWitt

I was out looking for Short-eared owls this evening when Charlie DeWitt drove up and told me about a pair of Snowy Owls on the large power poles north of the East Lagoon.  I hustled over, driving down the center dike and I found this Owl.  It was getting dark so the photos aren't great.  As it turns out there were three of the owls, one on the dike and when I finally got to the power poles, there were still two sitting on the poles.  It was too dark to get photos of the birds on top of the poles but it was still light enough to make them out.

I went back looking for Charlie to thank him but he was gone.  I don't have his email address but I want to pass along my thanks as this was a life bird for me.  Thank you Charlie!

Rick Hamlin
.


.

3 comments:

RichH Photography said...

Thanks Charlie, I did. There actually ended up being three of them. One was swooping low over the east lagoon while the other two were still on top of those poles.

Mike VanderStelt said...

Good job Rick!
That was funny, I sat there for better than an hour waiting for the two to fly -- all the while the "action" was just up ahead of me with the third! GRRRR! oh well, at least they're here, and hopefully will stick around. Also, for everyone's info. they were there (on the pole) at 3.30 PM, so don't wait until dusk -- get out in the light and shoot them.
Mike VanderStelt

RichH Photography said...

My wife and I went out again this morning around 9:00 a.m. and watched one sitting on the dike road for over an hour. I got a couple of better photos today! :)