Sunday, May 13, 2012

Bobolinks and White-striped Crossbeaks

.
Returning from a Mother's Day ride up the lakeshore with Carol on which I stumbled upon Species #141 (Bobolinks on the field in Oceana County southwest of the Flower Road - 48th Avenue intersection) if anybody's counting, I listened to a phone message from a non-birder regarding several "White-striped Crossbeaks" in the pines bordering the west side of the Olivet Church parking lot (Shettler Road & Quarterline) yesterday.  (Isn't that just the greatest species name!)  But seriously, I'm sure he was referring to White-winged Crossbills which were seen at that location by many people over several days last month.  If so, does anyone know how unusual that would be for the second week of May in Muskegon?
.
- Ric
.

3 comments:

Ric said...

On May 14 Brian Johnson replied: "White-winged Crossbills in May are very unusual, but I haven't yet checked to see if previous records exist. However, based on the local habitat, prior observations from the site, and the erratic nature of the species, I would think the sighting is accurate. But what really convinces me is that I have been repeatedly seeing a flock in the Norway Spruces at my house this winter and spring. I last saw them yesterday."

Anonymous said...

Try this again. I'm going to be in Muskegon Saturday. Is there any chance that the Crossbills will be around? It's a lifer for me.

RichH Photography said...

Anonymous,

They were still there this morning, 5/14/2012. Look for them in the large conifers west of the church parking lot. If you are patient, they are pretty friendly and will feed to within just a few feet of you. Good Luck.