Friday, May 4, 2012

Muskegon Wastewater Friday


I swung by Muskegon Wastewater on my last trip back from college this season to make a final attempt for the American Avocets. I had 56 species in 58 minutes, but no American Avocets. The low-water aeration cell was very interesting. In this cell alone I found of interest:

38 Dunlin
1 Least Sandpiper
~10 Lesser Yellowlegs
2 Greater Yellowlegs
27 Cliff Swallow
1 Brewer's Blackbird (!)
5 Killdeer
1 Dowitcher sp.

I was unable to identify the dowitcher sp. due to very inconclusive looks. It came and went as I watched.

An Upland Sandpiper was observed atop a power pole between the office and Swanson on the main road.  They're all over, it's just a matter of spotting them!

On the west side of the west lagoon in the woods across the ditch I found my FOY Red-eyed Vireo (#172), Warbling Vireo, several warbler sp., Great-crested Flycatcher, and Baltimore Oriole. My preliminary checklist is at:

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S10639805.

One last stop in Berrien County on my way to O'Hare and my Michigan year list will be on hold.

Good Birding,
Zachary DeBruine

No comments: