Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Loony Day at Grand Haven

.


.
I went looking for the Western Grebe at Grand Haven today; no grebe.  I did see a Common Loon (top picture) in front of the Waterfront Stadium.  It did move up the south channel almost to the Wharf Marina. That was about noon.
.
The Red-throated Loon was at the pier head when I first saw it.  It was moving around a lot and went up the channel as far as the old Coast Guard Station, then came back.  It was doing a lot of diving and would stay down a long time.  When I left the pier at 3:00 p.m., the Red-throated Loon was still there.
 .
I was on the South pier and while walking off the pier, I noticed 1 Great Black-backed Gull and 1 Glaucous Gull on the Grand Haven State Park beach.  They were mixed in with a few Ring-billed and Herring Gulls.
.
Charlie DeWitt
.

2 comments:

sissypants said...

No Grebe either--I scanned the channel/river for 3 miles from the lake. I met Jeremy Overway looking too... Of note, I had 750 LTDU not too far out on the lake (1 male flew right down the channel, almost got a flight video). Missed the GLGU but had GBBG (second cycle). Got the RTLO, but no COLO.

Charlie DeWitt said...

It was a great day for birding in Jan. Congrats on being the "ebirder on the Month" keep up the great work.

Charlie DeWitt