Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Muskegon Area Shoreline Birds Monday

.
January 9 Email:
.
I had no success with the Purple Sandpipers at Pere Marquette though 1 was observed 10 minutes prior to my arrival.  I did turn up a Glaucous Gull in the flock at the end of the pier, but no Great Black-backed Gull.  Wind was strong and waves were high.  Of interest, however, was a dense cloud of Long-tailed Ducks about 2.5 miles long heading northwards in a considerably wide band (perhaps .5 miles).  I observed them with two other Purple Sandpiper hunters, and then took a few more vantage points.  I came up with a conservative estimate of 11,000.  This started my spree.

At Kruse Park there were 500 LTDUs (perhaps from the same bunch).  Hoffmaster yielded another 20 or so, for all I could see.  Grand Haven hit it big with another 8,000 or so.  None at Rosy Mound, Kirk Park, any of the cottage subdivisions and township parks between there and Tunnel Park, and none at Holland State Park.  Did have 4 GBBGs at Holland State Park.  Otherwise no luck.  I'm now in search of the Hope College Snowy Owl, which was reported on top the music building on Friday!  What a crazy bird to miss...

Good Birding,
Zachary DeBruine
.

No comments: