Sunday, December 5, 2010

Look for Banded Bald Eagles at Wastewater

.
I was at the Wastewater Saturday morning (Dec. 4) and saw both a male and female adult Bald Eagle perched next to each other in a tree along the two-track going to the Central Dispatch antenna on the southwest side of the West Lagoon.  Both were banded.  I did get a few shots of them (no comments from the "peanut gallery" please) but as I came up on them sort of unexpectedly, my camera was in the wrong focus mode, and the shots are not clean enough to read the bands.  (Of course after I shot them, I corrected my error, and sure enough they flew off to an inaccessible area to the south.)  So to anyone who happens along and sees any adults, please take note of the leg areas and maybe we can get an I.D. of the bands.  (Honestly, I hope no one gets them before me as I have to make up for my "amateur" error before the incessent teasing starts.) :)

- Mike VanderStelt
.

1 comment:

Ric said...

Mike, I'd like to see one of the out-of-focus shots anyway even if the bands aren't readable. Even your "peanut gallery" will forgive you a picture now and then that doesn't show every feather crisp and sharp right down to the barbules. :-)