Sunday, December 26, 2010

No Grebe at G.H. but Golden Eagle at W.W.

.
I searched for the Western Grebe at Grand Haven on Dec. 24 without luck.  There was a lone Long-tailed Duck and Black Scoter in the channel among other more common species.  There were several thousand long-tails on the horizon.  I would appreciate any new news of the grebe's presence in Ottawa County.
.
At the Wastewater I was able to locate one Golden Eagle at what I believe is the northern end of the facility.  During a futile look for the big guys last week, I wasn't aware that the facility went that far north, nor that the goldies are often seen there.  Rick Brigham set me straight on the location.  Good to finally get that lifer on my list and off my back; a beautiful bird! 

Mike Overway
.

2 comments:

Jeffrey Moore said...

Can I ask where the best spot is to see the Golden Eagles? I was there last Thursday and didn't get to see them...maybe I wasn't looking in the right spot. I saw 3 Bald Eagles though so it still was worth it.

Thanks!

Jeff Moore

Anonymous said...

I have seen them several times perched in a large tree across the road from the observatory, behind the pine trees and a couple of times in the NW corner of the WW property.