Thursday, December 2, 2010

Injured Loon ? Pere Marquette Park

.
My son-in-law Kevin Feenstra, who is a fly fishing guide on the Muskegon River suggested I send you this picture taken yesterday 11/30/10 about 12:30 p.m. near the south pier at Pere Marquette Park.  He thinks it is a female loon.  She seemed to be injured, not walking on her webbed feet, but pushing against the sand until she was caught up in the waves and disappeared. Do you think she was injured?

- rcwyns
.


Well it is a Common Loon (in basic non-breeding plumage, sex unknown) and its behavior certainly indicates something wrong.  I suppose it's possible the bird got itself stranded out of water (their feet are so far back on their bodies that they're not good walkers) and I hope it was okay once it returned to the Big Lake.  However, many loons have been succumbing to a type of botulism in recent years (more prevalent further north in Lake Michigan) so perhaps it was that, or some sort of injury.  Look for comments here from others who may know more.

- Ric
.

1 comment:

Ric said...

Dec. 2, 2010
Email Reply to Ric and Others:

It looks like a Common Loon to me as well, and I cannot add anything to the discussion of health other than to to concur it looks to be in bad shape. I am not sure whether this is a normal symptom of botulism poisoning.

Caleb Putnam