Thursday, December 23, 2010

Waterfowl and Western Grebe

.
With the more favorable weather during this last week, I conducted a few short waterbird censuses along Lake Michigan.
.
Despite seemingly great rafts of Long-tailed Ducks, my best count was only 1,795 birds at Lake Harbor Park on December 20.  At Muskegon State Park on December 22, a count of 684 Common Goldeneye was my highest this season.  On December 23, a total of 44 White-winged Scoters off Lake Harbor Park produced one of my better tallies from Muskegon County.


However, as also indicated by Charlie's post, the real find was brought to my attention by Carol Cooper, who joined me at Lake Harbor Park shortly after noon on Dec. 23.  Earlier, while on the north side of the Grand River channel, she snapped this quick photo of a Western Grebe swimming between the two breakwalls.

- Brian Johnson
.

No comments: